Thinking of advertising on Radio?
Radio advertising is an increasingly powerful marketing medium. We listen to an inordinate amount of radio, without even realising! We wake up to it, drive to it, work to it, and even go to sleep listening to it. Actually, around 36M adults listen to commercial radio every week and per listener, an average of 21 hours of live radio is consumed per week. That’s a lot of radio listening, and a lot of time for radio advertising!
Radio adverts can be 30 seconds or much longer, they also include sponsored content, and are successful in reaching large numbers of people. As a trusted advertising platform, it is increasingly popular across all business sectors, and forms a crucial part of the marketing & advertising mix.
At Alexander Advertising, we are entitled to a media commission as a media agency. This means that we will always be cheaper than advertising direct. This is one of the ways that we pride ourselves in cutting the cost of advertising for you and your business.
To give you an idea of the cost, radio advertising is charged at an approximate rate of £2 per thousand listeners, so if a show has 100,000 listeners at 11am, purchasing a 30 second commercial for that period will cost about £200.
A carefully planned campaign achieves an average return of over 750% for every £1 that is spent. There are approximately 36M weekly listeners, which is an incredible potential reach. You can subconsciously enhance the opinion of your company, or organisation, by tapping into the influential power of emotion, and this can be done through radio advertising, at a low cost!
We also strive to save you time, and we all know that time is money! We do all the work so that you don’t have to. We liaise with radio stations, confirm production details, and negotiate the very best prices for our customers, along with all the other details of the process described below. All of these elements would take up your business’ time and energy and our customers are happy to have saved these hours by using our radio advertising services, and our other services.
Would you like to know how the process works? Read the detailed description of the process below to get more of an idea of the process of using our radio advertising services.
Firstly, you provide us with a detailed brief that identifies:
- the target audience
- the message that needs to be conveyed
We will begin work on finding the appropriate station and time slots
Our team are experienced in finding the best times and slots for you advert
We then predict the OTH (opportunity to hear) repetition figures
We do this by using listener stats that are verified and published by RAJAR (Radio Joint Audience Research)
In conjunction with the estimated audience reach we will identify the ideal spots to obtain
For example, a station may have a great reach but placing your advert in the ‘quieter hours’ (10pm – 5am) will fall on many sleeping ears. An ideal slot would be one that repeats the same message to the target audience at regular times. Radio doesn’t need the audience to give their undivided attention to be effective, this mediums’ capability to deliver a subliminal message is fantastic, especially when supported by an engaging website.
We then liaise with you and your chosen stations to make sure the advert is produced in an acceptable format including aspects such as:
- Slot length
- Broadcast time
- Voice over
- Background music
We also make sure that it invokes the right emotion and atmosphere to support the overriding message
Once an advert has been produced we send it to you for proofing
This gives you the chance to make sure that you are happy with everything and all the details of the radio advert
Finally, if no changes are to be made and approval is gained we then book and finalise the slots
All you need to do at this juncture is wait for the exciting moment your advert is first aired!
Here at Alexander Advertising, we are experienced in radio advertising and can give you advice on the content of you advertisement. Here is a small selection of our top tips that we provide to clients to give you an idea of what a successful radio ad would look like:
- If you are the head honcho, being the ‘star’ of your advert is generally ineffective. A clear, professional voice over has a better impact in general so it is worth thinking about
- Humour within a script is the most engaging and responsive, however, avoid being corny or cliché
- Evoking emotions has a positive influence when broadcasting a radio advert
- Your organisation should be name checked at the start, middle and end of your advert to make sure you are recognised and remembered, your advert is about you so make sure you make that known!
- Long lists of things like services, and using jargon, will make listeners mentally ‘turn off’ so it is best to avoid too much of this where possible
- Choose a slot length carefully, there is no point in forcing 60 seconds of content into a 30 second advert, a ‘messy’ advert will be confusing. However, if you feel you need longer to relay your message, then make use of the 60 second options
- A clear, single message and a plan of action for responses (phone calls, website visits, etc.) will ensure that audience interaction opportunities and the ROI are maximised, which of course is the ultimate aim!
We have worked with a variety of clients and you can read some of our testimonials here.
If you are looking for some radio advertising, or any of our other services, then do get in touch today. We’d be happy to hear from you!